Hypnotize allows Crypto to control the wills of humans, and even weaker-minded Furons. He does this by implanting powerful hypnotic suggestions into their minds, though this is limited since the only commands he can access are to sleep or distract other humans in the first game. New commands are added exclusively for certain missions, but they are never used again.
Variations of Hypnotize are used as separate powers in other games, which include the following:
- Free Love/Disco Fever: This makes all humans in Crypto's general vicinity dance for a short time to music and makes them forget that they've seen you. Called "Free Love" in Destroy All Humans! 2 and "Disco Fever" in Path of the Furon.
- Forget: It commands a single human's mind to be erased of Crypto's discovery. Only used in Destroy All Humans! 2.
- Follow: Makes a human mindlessly follow Crypto wherever he goes. This only works on civilians. Used only in Destroy All Humans! 2.
- Protect: Allows Crypto to hypnotize a single enemy into attacking other hostiles. It works only on combatants, like police or military. This can be upgraded to control ninjas, KGB agents, and even Blisk Mutants. Used only in Destroy All Humans! 2.
In Big Willy Unleashed, the default function of Hypnotize is distracting every human in sight, and making them forget they have seen you in a manner similar to Disco Fever. For mission goals, it can be used to control a human to perform a task for you, like opening a gate, destroying generators, etc.
- Furon hypnosis isn't completely reliable, as the mind-wipe implant that was inside Travis Skeever must've failed several years after Crypto probed him.