Hypnotize allows Crypto to control the wills of humans, and even weaker-minded Furons. He does this by implanting powerful hypnotic suggestions into their minds. In the first game, the commands that are available to Crypto are "Sleep", which will incapacitate the targeted human by making him take a nap, or "Distraction", which will make the human act crazy to distract other nearby humans, making them easier to take out or keep from being discovered. He will also receive commands that are specific to any missions he takes.
Variations of Hypnotize are used as separate powers in the second and fourth games, which include the following:
- Free Love: This makes all humans in Crypto's general vicinity dance for a short time to hippie music and makes them forget that they've seen you.
- Forget: This erases awareness of Crypto from a single human's mind. Only used in Destroy All Humans! 2.
- Follow: Makes a human mindlessly follow Crypto wherever he goes. This only works on civilians. Used only in Destroy All Humans! 2.
- Protect: Allows Crypto to hypnotize a single enemy into attacking other hostiles. It works only on combatants, like police or military. This can be upgraded to control ninjas, KGB agents, and even Blisk Mutants. Used only in Destroy All Humans! 2.
- Disco Fever: Simply a variation of "Free Love" for Path of the Furon. It compels all humans around him to dance to disco music, causing a distraction for Crypto to take advantage of.
In Big Willy Unleashed, the default function of Hypnotize is distracting every human in sight, and making them forget they have seen you in a manner similar to Disco Fever. For mission goals, it can be used to control a human to perform a task for you, like opening a gate, destroying generators, etc.
- Furon hypnosis isn't completely reliable, as the mind-wipe implant that was inside Travis Skeever must've failed several years after Crypto probed him.